The game of poker comes in many variations. These include 7-Card Stud, Omaha High-Low, and Texas Hold ‘Em, among others. To the neophyte player, the game may seem to be difficult to understand. However, if you spend time studying the game’s rules before actually getting your feet wet on the poker table, you will find the game easy enough to play. Regardless of the game variation you are playing, aside from the goal to win with the cards you are dealt with by betting strategically, the main rules are common to all poker variety.
Before playing, it is best that you first study the terms used in poker as well as the ranking of cards (applicable to all types of poker.) Your hand, for example, refers to the cards you are dealt with. Other terms you need to learn include bet, check, fold, raise, and call, which you can use when playing your turn. The pot is the total amount of money you can win in a game.
Common Poker Rules
Playing Cards – The standard card deck consists of 52 cards, with the ace considered as the highest card in most poker games (except in High-Low where the ace can either be the low or high card.
Player Turns – The game is played around the table in a clockwise direction. When playing online poker, the small button or disc in the screen indicates the player whose turn is up. The cards are dealt, and the bets are placed in this manner. If you’d like to get into online poker then head over to the OnlineCasinoPokerRoom and have a look at their in depth exhaustive BetOnline Poker review, and see if that’s the one for you.
Pot – The pot always begins with blind betting. Then, the betting is also done in turns to ensure that the money placed in the pot is even. In every round, additional cards may be dealt; and this makes the for a more intriguing and exciting betting.
Late Position – This is the most preferred position in poker, because you will be betting last. If you are in the late position, you get a distinct advantage because you can gauge the strength of the other players’ hands – more or less. The dealer button rotates after every hand to make sure that all players get to play in the position.
Playing Currency – Chips are used, instead of cash, to place bets. These are bought at the start of the game. You can only get more chips when the game is in-between hands, and not while a hand is in play.
If you are a beginner, it would be wise to start playing in tables with low set limits. As you gain more experience and skills, you can start playing in higher-stake games.
Bluffing is a game strategy intended to mislead your opponents into thinking that you have a weak hand, when you actually have a strong hand; and vice versa. This is done to throw your opponents off, and it makes the game more fun and interesting to play. You must use your better judgment on when to when to take action when you bluff or when you think your opponents are bluffing.
- Never forget that the game is played clockwise, and wait for your turn before taking any action.
- When playing poker, being the aggressor or “bettor” is considered better than being a “caller.”
- Always pay attention to other players. Take note who are aggressive or loose, and who are tight. Game experts say that in general, it is more ideal to play with aggressive players when you have a weak hand.
- Regularly check the other players’ chip count. Whenever possible, play only with those who have less chips than you.
- If the cards you are dealt with don’t play well with the community cards, just fold when a bet is made.
- Play cards with value of 10 or higher, or cards of the same suit.
- It is recommended to play few hands when you are among the first players to play in the table as you will be at risk from players who enter late.
- It is important to always consider everything when playing including how the betting is going, and your opponents’ cards, so take your time.
- Check out the specific rules of the poker variety you intend to play only after understanding the common rules.
Follow the tips in this article, and you will have better chances of winning in poker, regardless of the poker variety you want to play.